Report: Rihanna’s US Tour In Turmoil; Forced To Cancel Dates

Via New York Post / Sandra Rose:

Rihanna is having as tough a time selling concert tickets as she did last year. After her 2010 “Last Girl on Earth” tour hit problems with cancellations in Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver and Indianapolis because of low ticket sales, it seems the pop princess still can’t pack an arena, even with new management from Jay-Z’s Roc Nation.

Sources say after poor US concert pre-sales last month, Rihanna has been advised by her day-to-day manager, Jay Brown, to cancel domestic dates on her “Loud” tour.

“It has been a big disappointment,” our source said. “The ticket sales in big US cities like Boston are so bad, they will barely cover basics like the lighting and other arena costs. Tour managers are begging local radio stations to do giveaways.”

Rihanna is scheduled to perform at T.D. Garden arena in Boston on July 24 with Cee Lo Green. Only 3,700 tickets have been sold, and sources on the tour say she needs to sell at least 15,000 to break even. They expect more than a half-million dollars in losses from the Boston concert alone.

Rihanna split from her first manager, Marc Jordan, who launched her career, over a disagreement after her 2010 tour. A rep for Jordan declined to comment.

Her new manager, Brown, who is part of Roc Nation, is preparing to make changes, sources say. The tour starts in June 4 in Baltimore and heads to Canada and then around the US before moving to England in August.

But an insider said, “She should’ve been doing theaters and smaller venues. She’s not ready to headline an arena tour.”

Sources say while the ticket sales are sluggish, Rihanna is demanding all of the bells and whistles to make it a blow-out show. “It’s the normal diva requests,” an insider said, “which is tolerated, when you make money.”
Reps for Rihanna and Roc Nation declined to comment.

Soulja Boy’s Brother Dies in Car Crash

Soulja Boy is facing his biggest life challenge yet. The 20-year-old rapper shared with his Twitter followers that he lost his younger brother on Sunday night in an automobile accident and is stricken with grief from the tragic event.

“At home crying my eyes out I can’t believe my Lil bro is gone… today is so not my day.. RIP lil brother love you always :(,” tweeted a somber Soulja Boy.

Miami Mike, president of Soulja Boy’s S.O.D.M.G. label, expressed support for the “Crank That” hitmaker and his family. “The Flags are @ Half Staff @ the Offices of SODMG & PTE, R.I.P. to @Souljaboy little brother who passed-way in a auto crash last nite :-(.”

His collaborator Sean Kingston also offered his condolences, writing, “Smh life is really short man.. Why do the good die young smh @SouljaBoy keep your head up stay strong..Ima keep u in my prayers bro realtalk.”

NEWS: Egypt Protests Hit Fever Pitch, Obama Administration Evacuates First Group Of Americans

With residents of Egypt effectively cut-off from communication with the outside world, the Obama Administration has charted two planes to evacuate American citizens out of Egypt and into nearby Cyprus. With what experts predict will be a length evacuation effort, nearly 220 Americans have already left Egypt with the US State Department reporting that there are 2,400 other Americans in the country who have asked to be evacuated.  This large scale evacuation effort comes as widespread demonstrations against the Egyptian government have led to clashes between protesters and police, looting, and other causes for alarm. 
 
 
The demonstrations stem from civil unrest from the citizens wanting 82-year-old President Hosni Mubarak to step down. He has spent more than 30 years in power, and his reign has been tainted by charges of police brutality, large scale poverty, government corruption and fights among Christians and Muslims, has handed over power to his son.  The people of Egypt want a drastic change in the well-being of their country, but likely won’t get that if Mubrak hands power to his son as rumored to happen, and power stays in the same family’s hands.  The more true it becomes his son, Gamal, may take over, the more the unrest rages.
 
 
They also are pushing for a fully democratic nation.  When rumors that the ailing president was grooming his son to take over began to surface, public opposition reached all time highs with citizens calling from democratization and respect for their human and civil rights.
 
Outside of the sometimes violent protests seen around the world, residents of Egypt have virtually no alternative means of communication as their parliamentary elections in November were widely decried as fraudulent, and now Egypt has ordered nearly all of the country’s internet service providers shut down.  The government first shut down Twitter and Facebook so the citizens had no way to relay what was really happening in their country–and to stifle the real stories from getting out. 
 
Leaving only the Noor Group in operation (which covers about 8% of the market), most residents of Egypt have been cut off from communication with the outside world.  This was mainly done as protests organizers are accused of using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter to rally supporters.   Although the U.S. government has not learned of any Americans being targeted or hurt in the protests, the State Department recommends U.S. citizens limit their movements and avoid protests if they don’t plan on leaving the country.

As for America’s position on Mubarak’s reign, neither Barack Obama nor US Secretary of State  Hillary Clinton have declared a definite position publically.  

Source: CNN 

JUELZ SANTANA STUDIO RAIDED BY THE POLICE!!!

Juelz Santana’s new year isn’t kicking off on a positive note, as news spreaded that the Dipset rhymer’s New Jersey studio was raided by police last week on Thursday (Jan. 20).Officers entered the premises, dubbed “Santana’s World,” to find guns and drugs present. Two fully loaded 9mm handguns, several boxes of ammunition and marijuana were among the items confiscated. While the surprise visit turned up the illegal guns, Bergen County police were there to arrest Toby M. Raynor, also known as Hynief, an affiliate of the rapper’s Skull Gang set.

The 24-year-old was reportedly taken into custody after selling marijuana to undercover Gang Unit detectives. During a 10-month investigation, Raynor, 24, dealt the drugs on June 16 and July 1, 2010. Raynor is currently being held in the Bergen County Jail on $50,000 bail.

NAS OWES OVER 6 MILLION DOLLARS IN BACK TAXES!!!

It seems like every week another rap titan is targeted by the IRS for some gigantic debt, but Nas, as usual, is doing it bigger than most. The legendary Queens MC has been tapped by the IRS for a mind-boggling $6 million owed in back taxes.

The back taxes are specifically tied to a mansion that Nas owns in Eagles Landing, Ga., but are also the next in a long history of money problems for the ‘Illmatic’ rapper. He has apparently filed liens for three years in a row and still owes a substantial sum of money for a condo that he recently purchased in New York City. Managers of that property are targeting Nas for late dues on a $420 assessment fee that he has neglected to pay since January 2010.

Carmelo Anthony’s Sister Dies in Baltimore

 

Denver Nuggets player Carmelo Anthony has left the team to be with his family after the death of his sister and is expected to return after Christmas.

The team said Wednesday night that Michelle Anthony died of a pre-existing medical condition Tuesday (Dec. 21) in Baltimore. She had four children.

Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations, says, “Our entire organization supports Carmelo during this difficult time for him and his family. It is heartbreaking news, particularly during the holiday season.”

Nuggets head coach George Karl says the news “brings us down to earth,” and reminded his organization that there are more important things than basketball.

Anthony missed the Nuggets’ game in San Antonio. Denver’s next game is Christmas Day at Oklahoma City.

Anthony, 26, has been the subject of trade rumors since he spurned the team’s offer of a three-year, $65 million contract extension last summer. He’s averaging 24 points and 8.3 rebounds this season.

He has recently been hampered by a strained right elbow, sitting out the last two days of practice leading up to Wednesday night’s game against the Spurs.

RICK ROSS ASSOCIATE WAS MURDERED!

An associate of hip-hop star Rick Rosswas been shot and killed in his Miami, Florida home after robbers invaded a Christmas party and opened fire. Raymond Adderly, an aspiring rapper, was celebrating the holidays with his wife and three children on Tuesday (14Dec10) when a group of men stormed into the house and murdered him in front of his family. The violent crime has left city residents stunned and Adderly’s brother-in-law, Gentry Chambers, admits he is heartbroken, reports AllHipHop.com. He says, “We’re in shock. It’s awful. It’s awful my nephews and sister have to go through this during the holidays.” Police have launched an investigation into the tragic incident, although cops had yet to name any suspects as WENN went to press.